I’m May Freighter, your current hostess for the YASH Scavenger Hunt! I hope so far you are having tonnes of fun getting to know many fantastic authors on TEAM PINK.
A BIT ABOUT ME:
My favourite animal is a cat.
I love writing Urban Fantasy and testing out new genres.
There is never enough cake.
I’m a bit of a nerd.
And my favourite fictional couple is Kat & Bones from Night Huntress series.
You are currently hunting on:
Looking for my exclusive bonus content? You’ll have to keep searching.
Somewhere on this hunt, I’ve hidden a cover reveal for DARK AFFILIATIONS (book five of HELENA HAWTHORN SERIES) and its preview! Well then, before you move on, check out the amazing author I’m hosting.
But, first, a few rules.
SCAVENGER HUNT PUZZLE RULES
DIRECTIONS: Below, you’ll notice that I’ve listed my favourite number. Collect the favourite numbers of all the authors on TEAM PINK, and then add them up (don’t worry, you can use a calculator!)
HINT: THE SECRET NUMBER IS HIGHLIGHTED IN PINK!
ENTRY FORM: Once you’ve added up all the numbers, make sure you fill out the form here to officially qualify for the grand prize. Only entries that have the correct number will qualify.
RULES: Open internationally, anyone below the age of 18 should have a parent or guardian’s permission to enter. To be eligible for the grand prize, you must submit the completed entry form by SUNDAY, APRIL 8th, at noon Pacific Time. Entries sent without the correct number or without contact information will not be considered.
On this hunt, you not only get access to exclusive content from each participating YA author, you also get a secret number. Add up the numbers, and enter it for a chance to win a major prize–one lucky winner will receive at least one book from each author on my team in the hunt! But play fast. This contest (and all the exclusive bonus material) won’t be online forever!
There are SIX contests going on simultaneously as well as a bonus contest and you can enter one or all! I am a part of the PINK TEAM but there is also a RED TEAM, BLUE TEAM, ORANGE TEAM, PURPLE TEAM, GOLD TEAM & GREEN TEAM! Check out each team for a chance to win nine different sets of signed books!
If you’d like to find out more about the hunt, see links to all the authors participating, and see the full list of prizes up for grabs, go to the YA Scavenger Hunt page.
Now that all the serious stuff is out of the way, moving on to the author I’m hosting today and its… *drum roll*
Dr. Kristi Helvig
Kristi Helvig is a Ph.D. clinical psychologist turned sci-fi/fantasy author. Her debut sci-fi BURN OUT, (Egmont USA/Lerner Publishing), called “a scorching series opener not to be missed” by Kirkus Reviews, follows one of Earth’s last survivors when our sun unexpectedly burns out early. Kristi resides in sunny Colorado with her hubby, two kiddos, and their behaviorally-challenged dogs.
The book Kristi is featuring on the hunt is her recently-released urban fantasy novel, THE WING COLLECTOR.
The book Kristi is showcasing:
About The Wing Collector
Hide…or be hunted.
When a pair of faerie wings fetch big bucks online, 17-yo Lila Kincade realizes her kind aren’t just oppressed; they’re hunted.
Due to prejudice and hostility by humans, half-human/half-faerie Lila lives in a world where faeries are required to register with the government and bind their wings in order to look like everyone else.
Lila is haunted by repetitive dreams involving a shack in the woods, and when photos of dismembered wings appear in her school locker, she soon realizes that she is the serial killer’s prime target. As faerie corpses pile up around her, Lila embarks on a mission to save her race from extinction. She must figure out who she can trust and stop the killer before she—and all faeries— are obliterated forever.
Did you know? I have counted the feathers on the cover and found that there are exactly:
Bonus Content from The Wing Collector
MUSIC PLAYLIST for The Wing Collector:
Music is a huge part of my writing process and always has been. I’ve written before about how the idea for my first novel BURN OUT occurred in a dream I had after hearing a song for the first time (Center of the Sun by Conjure One). When I write books, songs often pop into my head for certain scenes as if I’m watching a movie with the soundtrack playing in my head. Here is a playlist that went along with the process of writing THE WING COLLECTOR, with some notes about each. And yes, you will notice a range from Vivaldi to Rage Against the Machine because that’s how my brain works!
- Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen. Slight spoiler alert: there is a death at the very beginning of the book but hey, it is about a serial killer after all! As the girl walks through the woods in the opening scene of The Wing Collector, the original version of this song popped into my head—almost like a dirge as she unknowingly walked to her death.
- Shadow of the Sun by Audioslave. I think Chris Cornell’s voice is amazing and pictured my main character, Lila, playing this song in her room while she stares out the window feeling trapped and alone. Random fact: several weeks after Chris Cornell’s death, I had a dream where I was watching a scene from The Wing Collector in which multiple people would die, and a booming bass sound started playing and then Chris Cornell’s voice emerged around me with this amazing song called “No Good,” which was basically an apology from the killer to his victims as he killed them in the dream, admitting that he was “no good.” I woke up the next day and looked up the song, but it didn’t exist, so I gave the lyrics and beat to my husband (who is a musician), and he agreed it was awesome and is working on the song now.
- Killing in the Name of by Rage Against the Machine. It’s an oldie but goodie that I imagined during a hiking scene where a group of hikers meets the serial killer in the woods, and one of the hikers is listening to this song through his earbuds.
- The Four Seasons by Vivaldi I’m not going to say why I have an Italian composer from the 1700’s included in this playlist. If you read the book, and want to guess why, email me and I swear I’ll tell you. 😊
- Devil by Shinedown. This is actually a new song, but it’s amazing. I was driving to work last week thinking about how I had no song for the one scene in my book that actually takes place in a nightclub where there would definitely be music. It seemed weird that no song had popped into my head while writing that scene, but now I know why. This is the song that would be playing in that club and it’s perfect for several reasons. No spoilers but the lyrics include, “’Cause it’s about to get heavy, It’s about to be on….’” and “Cause I was sent to warn you, The devil’s in the next room.” The song is heavy—but catchy.
- Defying Gravity by Idina Menzel Why yes, I did just go from heavy rock to a Broadway tune, so see, there’s something for everyone! There is no song more perfect for the ending scene of this book, and if you read it, you’ll know why. Several people even emailed me to say they cried at this part.
Want to enter to win a copy of the book? Make sure to stop by my blog at http://www.kristihelvig.com/blog/ on your #TEAMPINK hunt, and enter through Rafflecopter!
Want a FREE copy of WINGLESS, the short story prequel to The Wing Collector? Grab it right now on Instafreebie!
Make sure to sign up for my newsletter for updates on new giveaways, ARC opportunities, and books news at http://www.kristihelvig.com/newsletter-sign-up-form-2/
Finally, thanks so much to May for hosting me on this leg of the YASH hunt—good hunting to all of you scavengers, and go #TEAMPINK!
You can now add THE WING COLLECTOR to your TBR list on Goodreads!
Want to grab a copy of THE WING COLLECTOR right now (and see how these songs fit with the story)?
You can buy her book HERE!
And don’t forget to enter the contest for a chance to win a ton of books by me and many more! Just check out all these books on team pink,
Thank you so much for visiting my website! While you’re here don’t forget to enter the Rafflecopter bonus contest I am running exclusively during the YA Scavenger Hunt. Five lucky winners will receive RUSSIAN ROULETTE & DEMON GATES e-books! Good luck everyone!
Thank you for your time! Here’s the link to the next blog where you can continue the hunt: